Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Relationship to Painting | 8/23/17


Hello,

My name is Abby and I’ve been fascinated with art as a hobby all my life. I know that using the word “art” is very broad. I’ve experimented with collage, woodworking, and even crocheting, but for the most part, I just draw. I’ve explored many drawing mediums and tools and found that my favorite is micron pens and tiny sketchbooks. However, every time I get this fantastic vision of something I’d like to draw in my head, it’s in color. And I’ve found, time and time again, that when I try and add color in any form to a sketch, I ruin it. I have sketchbooks filled with ruined drawings and my attempts at watercolor, acrylics, and even pastels. I have even done paintings as projects for classes, supposing that since the paintings were a personal expression, I couldn’t be graded too harshly for utter failures of paintings as long as I showed I put in effort! I’d like to be able to put in effort and be pleased with the results. I am frustrated with this shortcoming in my own artistic endeavors, so I decided to take a painting class so that I could learn how to wield color more masterfully, or at least sufficiently. My relationship to painting is a strained one, but one I hope becomes more harmonious over the course of the semester. I am looking forward to learning and growing in skill beside you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment