Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Blog 1-Relationship to Painting

Hello Classmates!

I would say that I have a tentatively strained relationship with painting. I have painted with a variety of different paints, and I much prefer acrylic and oils. I have never been very fond of painting unless I was painting on a large scale. The largest painting that I did was a 4'x6', to-scale, rendition of the Space Shuttle Atlantis at its last take off. After I did that painting I never wanted to paint below 18"x24" ever again! One of my favorite parts of painting is the level of realism that you can get from the process. Yet I find that I don't exactly enjoy painting for class since I like to take longer than I should on paintings. I always feel so much more rushed when I’m painting compared to when I’m using any other media. I haven’t figured out why that is, but as a result I’ve noticed I don’t like painting very much. I can get lost painting, searching for something inside myself, but always find that I just don’t have the passion for painting like I do for other media. I’m hoping that this class will help me find whatever it is that I’ve been missing, and maybe make me like painting more than I do at this point.

2 comments:

  1. So, do you just like painting on large canvases or would you consider doing murals -- like humongous murals? I think that would be pretty rad to see your passion for painting play out on something of that scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I know I really love painting large canvas, but I've actually never done a mural before! I think it's something I would enjoy doin, and it would give me some awesome experiences.

      Delete