Monday, November 20, 2017

Artists Statement

Ryan Barfield 
11/20/2017 
Artists Statement 

My painting titled A Portrait of Chef Kaylie is oil on canvas and inspired by Frida Kahlo's paintings and the exhibit "Frida Kahlo: Her Photos". This rather large painting is a portrait of my sister in a chef's coat with her heart cut, sitting on top of her chest. Behind my sister are large chef's knives floating in the background, one with blood running down its blade. 
 My sister is my best friend, as well as, the person I most look up to in life. In this portrait I wanted to show a strong and confident person who gives her whole heart to the passion she pursues. I looked directly at Frida's painting Self-Portrait Dedicated to Dr. Eloesser for inspiration in my own painting. I liked how Frida portrayed herself as strong yet emotionless and how the background worked to inform the viewer just as much as the foreground. Although my sister isn't emotionless I wanted her pose to be silent and for the color and imagery to fill in spaces not filled by those emotions. 
My color scheme is simple yet vibrant. The canvas is surrounded by a red border that resembles blood, the same paint is also used to create the heart over her white jacket. I wanted the red to be a deep ruby red, to resemble the power that she possesses as well as the lust for greatness. The background is a deep royal blue gradient meant to show quality in her craft as well as thoughts of the unknown. The white jacket is meant to look clean and professional, sincerity in her word and purity in her craft.  
When I look at my sister I know exactly what she has done to get where she's at. I know all of the hard times and struggles she had to overcome to become a successful chef. She is strong and confident yet thoughtful and intuitive. No matter what she shows up in life and in work, she truly lives life with her heart on her sleeve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment